Civil Aviation Authority UK
The following details outline the Civil Aviation Authority industry guidelines on assisting passengers with invisible disabilities. The CAA guidelines make it clear that airlines need the right procedures in place to assist such passengers.
Specifically, airlines should:
- Have a clear and accessible pre-notification system in place allowing passengers to request special assistance at the point of booking.
- Share information about a passenger’s assistance needs within their own organisation and with the airport and ground handling agents.
- Ensure a passenger with a hidden disability is seated with a travelling companion at no extra cost.
- Invest in quality training for staff so hidden disabilities can be identified and passengers assisted accordingly.
- Ensure passengers with hidden disabilities are looked after in the event of flight delays and cancellations.